Gas Engineering Apprenticeship
Starting salary: £23,360 with annual increases subject to completion of Apprenticeship milestones
On completion of apprenticeship programme: £33,488
We are launching our Gas Engineering Apprenticeship programme across Scotland and are looking for a diverse range of people to join us to complete this 3-year programme. As part of your learning journey with us we will provide you with the skills, knowledge, and behaviours to work as part of our highly skilled operations teams, safely delivering a gas supply to 5.9 million homes and businesses in the south of England and across Scotland.
As an industry leading energy company, SGN are currently paving the way in cutting edge research and development towards a net zero energy system. We’re on a journey to transform the future of gas and we think outside the box – futuristic technologies and robotics are leading our innovation so that we can strive every day to make the world a better place. Your apprenticeship will help us on our journey and ensure a clean energy supply across the UK for the future.
You will be supporting our qualified gas engineers to provide a variety of services to our customers including;
- Installation of gas meters and regulators
- Responding to reported gas emergencies
- Installation & maintenance of gas networks
- Promoting health and safety in gas service/repair activities
This programme will lead to successful Gas Safe Registration in the following categories: CESP 1, MET 1/2, MET4, TPCP1A, REGT1, REGT2.
On completion of the Gas Engineering Modern Apprenticeship, additional training will be provided on an electrical engineering discipline. You will be supporting our qualified technicians and engineers in a variety of maintenance tasks and projects including;
- Carrying out preventative planned maintenance on electrical equipment
- Carrying out condition monitoring of plant and equipment
- Assisting in the installation of electrical/electronic equipment
- Testing electrical equipment and circuits
- Modifying or rewiring electrical circuits
- Working alongside and assisting mechanical and instrumentation colleagues gaining a broad overview and understanding of other specialist disciplines and gas plant operation
The Apprentice journey…
Working with one of our academic partners you will attend college on a ‘block’ release basis throughout your 3 years, building your skills and knowledge as you progress. You will also be supported by our highly skilled engineers and managers, who will provide opportunity for you to develop your competencies in real work situations, supplementing your college learning. Over the course of the apprenticeship, you will be required to attend a number of training centres, which may be a distance away from your home. When you are required to stay away from home, we will arrange travel and accommodation.
What you’ll need
- National 5 grades A-C or equivalent including Maths
- An interest in developing your career in within the energy industry
- Ability to commit to 3 years of training and education
- A can-do attitude and a passion for growing a successful career
*To carry out this role and participate fully in the development programme, we would prefer that you are able to drive. If you cannot drive currently, you will be expected to pass your test within 6 – 12 months of joining us
What’s in it for you?
- Following successful completion of this 3-year programme, you will have the opportunity to join our team on a permanent basis where there will be lots of opportunities to develop your skills further
- Company benefits including retail discounts, HolidayPlus, gym & mobile discounts, plenty of health and wellbeing support, an excellent pension scheme, and more
- Being a part of a working environment where you are empowered to be yourself and work with all different kinds of people
- Joining a team where you work will directly impact SGNs commitments to keeping our customers’ safe and warm, as well as reducing our carbon footprint and driving innovation in our industry
Who are SGN?
In short, we strive to sustain our world through managing the network that distributes natural and green gas across the south of England and Scotland. We have an important responsibility to keep the gas flowing to 5.9 million homes and businesses.
Come and be a part of world leading energy company!
We’re quick to deliver and may not wait until the advert expires to begin shortlisting applications, so please submit your application as soon as possible so we can continue the conversation.