Senior Characterisation Specialist – Dounreay, Thurso
Full Time, permanent
Salary: £40,780 to £70,115
Dounreay is recruiting for a Senior Characterisation Specialist within the Operations directorate.
The purpose of the post is to provide characterisation support to Dounreay to promote and deliver an effective and compliant characterisation service that adheres to the site’s strategies.
The job holder will be responsible for delivering specialist advice that promotes the effective and efficient utilisation of characterisation. This may include, but is not limited, to devising and implementing sample plans, set-up, control and maintenance of the Dounreay site NDA systems and undertaking assessments and calculations to characterise materials, including waste.
Part time and flexible working will be considered.
- Apply specialised characterisation knowledge and experience to assist Dounreay organisations and project teams in implementing the lifetime plan and characterisation strategies and plans for the site
- Provide advice on characterisation to the directorate and site project teams
- Review and report to the team leader (NDA and Characterisation) problems and incidents, establishing causes and identifying, recommending and implementing solutions as required
- Manage, model and interpret characterisation data sets
- Act as a key stakeholder in a range of processes, including DMRs, HAZOPs, UNOR investigations, BPM assessments
- Provide specialist characterisation support to interface with internal and external stakeholders including NDA, SEPA, and ONR
- Develop and implement improvements to the characterisation parts of the Dounreay management system including, but not limited to, technical specifications, procedures and advice notes
- Review and approve/endorse characterisation documentation including advice notes and activity assessments
- Mentor characterisation specialists on matters related to regulatory and waste compliance
- Provide site training on characterisation
- Represent Dounreay at national and international characterisation forums
- Perform the responsibilities of management appointments relevant to post. Be appointed to RWA corporate body
- Manage Dounreay staff as a line manager
Aptitudes, qualifications and experience
- Degree in science/engineering or equivalent qualifications plus experience
- Waste/fuel/decommissioning characterisation experience
- Nuclear/industrial experience
- Good knowledge and understanding of all relevant radiological, chemical, environmental and safety issues applicable to the post
- Analytical skills to be able to investigate, identify improvements to and implement remedial actions to characterisation challenges and problems
- Sound interpersonal and communication skills with the ability to work well within a team
- A positive approach, self-motivated, assertive and the ability to use initiative
For further information, contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing date for applications: 17th May 2023
Interviews to be held: Week commencing Monday 22 May 2023
If you require assistance at any point during the recruitment process then then contact email@example.com at the appropriate time so that we can make any necessary reasonable adjustment.